Chocolate contains an alkaloid called “theobromine”. Theobromine is in the same family as caffeine and is a type of stimulant (they both are mythylxanines). Theobromine stimulates the central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and causes a slightly increases blood pressure.
Dogs and certain other animals, such as horses and cats, cannot metabolize theobromine as quickly as humans can; this causes the above effects to be much more severe than is the case with humans. The specific notable side effects of toxic levels of theobromine in dogs includes: diarrhea; vomiting; increased urination; muscle twitching; excessive panting; hyperactive behavior; whining; dehydration; digestive problems; seizures; and rapid heart rate. Some of these symptoms, like the rapid heart rate, can ultimately be fatal to the dog.
So how much chocolate is too much for a dog? That depends on the size and age of the dog, as well as what type of chocolate was consumed. The larger the dog, the more theobromine they can handle without dying and older dogs tend to have more problems with the side effects, as noted above.
As far as the chocolate itself, cocoa powder contains about sixteen times as much theobromine per ounce over milk chocolate, with most popular forms of chocolate falling somewhere between those two, excepting white chocolate, which contains insignificant amounts of theobromine per ounce, making it extremely unlikely to be able to be consumed in sufficient quantities to harm a dog.
For more specific figures, here are the approximate amounts of theobromine per ounce of chocolate:
• Cocoa powder: 800 mg/oz
• Baker’s chocolate (unsweetened): 450 mg/oz
• Dark chocolate: 150 mg/oz
• Milk chocolate: 50 mg/oz
So, the general rules for the amount of chocolate that will be toxic for a dog:
• Milk chocolate: one ounce per pound of body weight (so, without intervention, a 16 pound dog (7.2 kg) would likely die from eating one pound of milk chocolate)
• Dark chocolate: 1/3 of an ounce per pound of body weight (around 5 ounces of dark chocolate for that same 16 pound dog)
• Baker’s chocolate: 1/9 of an ounce per pound of body weight (around 1.8 ounces of baker’s chocolate for a 16 pound dog)
• Cocoa powder: 1/16 of an ounce per pound of dog (around 1 ounce of cocoa powder to kill a 16 pound dog)
On the other extreme end, it would take about 200 pounds of white chocolate consumed within a 17 hour period to reach toxic levels of theobromine for a 16 pound dog. The low quantity of theobromine here is because white chocolate is made from cocoa butter, sugar, and milk, but no cocoa solids.
An interesting article on acacia fiber - A must read!
How to Treat a Dog That Has Eaten Chocolate
There is little that can be done for the dog, particularly at home, to treat the theobromine poisoning once it’s in the dog’s bloodstream. Thus, the general methods of treatment tend to be ways to try to stop the consumed theobromine from reaching the bloodstream. These include:
1. Inducing vomiting in the dog immediately, which helps remove much of the chocolate.
2. After that, try to get the dog to eat a small amount of activated charcoal, which binds to the theobromine and keeps it from entering the bloodstream.
3. Try to get the dog to consume as much water as possible to keep them hydrated.
4. At the vet, certain drugs can be used to help the dog survive, such as anti-convulsants, which can help if the dog is having seizures.
In order to induce vomiting, the easiest way, aside from sticking your finger down their throat or the like, which isn’t at all recommended, is to get the dog to eat something like 1-2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide, which should shortly induce vomiting and can be repeated a few times every 15 minutes, if it does not. Alternatively, 2-3 tsp of Syrup of Ipecac should do the trick, though this one should NOT be repeated, even if it doesn’t work the first time.
For the activated charcoal, about 1-2 tsp of activated charcoal mixed thoroughly with water should be fed to the dog. This also works well for certain other types of toxins that dogs and cats can sometimes consume, such as: carbamate insecticides, herbicides, and rodenticides.
Source : todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/02/why-chocolate-is-bad-for-dogs/
Can Children Eat Dark Chocolate?
Dark chocolate can be part of a child’s diet if given in moderation
Adding a little cocoa to your child’s cup of milk or sprinkling a little bit on a piece of fruit may encourage your child to eat healthy foods he may not want to eat. Chocolate can be part of a healthy and balanced. Chocolate, specifically dark chocolate, has become a hot topic recently as studies are showing some health benefits. However, even dark chocolate can be high in calories, so children — and adults! — should consume it in moderation.
The University of Michigan Health System explains that dark chocolate may have beneficial effects on heart health by lowering blood pressure, reducing LDL cholesterol and maintaining healthy blood vessels. Chocolate contains flavonoids that have been shown to improve cardiovascular health. These benefits affect children the same as they do adults, although most studies are performed using adults.Worried about your child health? Why don’t you try out some Textured Vegetable Protein ?
Studies with Children
The ancient Mayans and Aztecs used cocoa for many medicinal purposes, including constipation and diarrhea. Recent studies involving children have shown that chocolate may be beneficial in preventing these two conditions. A study in the journal “Pediatrics” found that children given cocoa husk, which is very high in fiber, were more likely to be relieved of constipation than those given placebo. The amount of fiber in the husk may be the cause of the result, not the amount of cocoa. Another study in “The Journal of Pediatrics” showed that the flavonoids in cocoa limit the release of fluids that cause diarrhea. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration, a serious health problem for small children.
Source Article : livestrong.com/article/425793-can-children-eat-dark-chocolate/